What is polycarbonate?
- What is polycarbonate?
- Features of polycarbonate
- Disadvantages of polycarbonate
Polycarbonate is a type of plastic resin and is a type of thermoplastic. Sometimes abbreviated as "PC", "polyka", etc., its biggest feature is to have high impact resistance. It has about 50 times impact resistance compared with acrylic resin and polyethylene. Besides insert nuts, it is used for a wide range of applications such as medical equipment, aircraft, bulletproof glass have been used.
Features of polycarbonate
Polycarbonate has advantages such as "heat resistance" and "transparency" besides high impact resistance.
- 1. Impact resistance
- Polycarbonate has impact resistance equivalent to about 50 times that of acrylic resin. It does not break even if you hit with a hammer, its impact resistance has a high standard among plastic materials. dd>
- 2. Heat resistance
- Polycarbonate has high heat resistance. It has been used for equipment with intense temperature change such as microwave oven and refrigerator, and it has performance to withstand a wide temperature range. dd>
- 3. Transparency
- The transparency of polycarbonate is said to have light transmittance of 85 to 90%. Its transparency is comparable to that of glass, and acrylic resin is one step beyond what it is used for optical equipment and so on.
- 4. Weather resistance
- Polycarbonate has high weather resistance. It is excellent in flame retardancy and it is used for electronic fields and construction materials. dd>
- 5. Dimensional stability
- Polycarbonate has the property that the molding shrinkage ratio which can not be ignored in plastic processing is low. It is a plastic material that has high processing performance and supports various molding methods including precision processing. dd>
Disadvantages of polycarbonate
Polycarbonate has disadvantages such as "low chemical resistance" and "weak against high temperature and high humidity".
- 1. Chemical resistance
- Polycarbonate is disadvantageous because it has low chemical resistance. Among them, weak against alkaline agents and solvents, they will degrade if they are used. Also, you can not use adhesive etc. dd>
- 2. Weakness to high temperature and high humidity environment dt>
- Polycarbonate has high heat resistance, but because it has an ester bond, hydrolysis will occur under high temperature and high humidity environment. You must be careful about the environment to use. dd>
- 3. Degradation of transparency
- Polycarbonate has high transparency, but if it exerts a force exceeding tensile strength, transparency will decrease and it will whiten. dd>
While polycarbonate has features such as high impact resistance, it has a disadvantage that its chemical resistance is low. When using it, it is necessary to carefully consider the characteristics and use environment of the object. For details please contact the manufacturer who manufactures the insert nut and use it for the appropriate purpose. p>